Maritza Caneca's artistic career began in the 1980s as Still's cinematographer. In this photographic category comes the opportunity to explore from fragments of a film, the poetic synthesis of a larger narrative. Thus, in capturing fragments of the scenes of the films, it fixes in an image its totality narrative. And in this capture is born the look of a photographer, who, although later to follow her path as director of photography in several cinematographic productions, continues to photograph.
In the field of filmmaking, for almost 30 years, the photographer coexists, almost silently, with the director of photography. Over the years, the photographer benefits from the constant physical displacements imposed by the nature of film work, experiencing her poetic cut in the face of a diverse range of places, stories, people. In his extensive physical and poetic dislocations he apprehends and collects traces with which he expands his research and constructs a photographic discourse which, by expanding the senses, transmutes the ordinary into light, form, color, subtleties and softness.
Ms. Caneca is currently one of the top Brazilian Artistic Photographers working today. Her works have achieved critical acclaim not just in Brazil, but internationally. She has been commissioned, and her works have been exhibited at the leading galleries and organizations, festival and art events internationally including:
- Scope Miami Beach 2017 - Gallery C-Art - USA ;
- Exhibition “ Immersion in blue “ - Belmond Copacabana Palace ;
- Collective Show "Re-Membering " - Bossa Gallery - Miami;
- SP Art - Anita Schwartz Gallery of Art - São Paulo;
- Scope NY 2017 - Gallery C-Art – USA;
- Pool Series 2016 , Solo show Maritza Caneca - Bossa Gallery - Miami;
- Art Fair ArtRio Carioca Anita Schwartz Gallery of Art – Rio de Janeiro;
- Scope Miami Beach 2016 - Gallery C-Art - USA;
- Art Fair ArtRio Anita Schwartz Gallery de Art - Rio de Janeiro;
- 2016 Exhibition Paço Imperial Maritza Caneca Pool Series, curator Vanda Klabin - Rio de Janeiro ;
- Show “Welcome to Miami “ - Kathryn Mikesell The Fountainhead Miami - Miami;
- Show “Unconditionally Beautiful “ - Bossa Gallery - Miami;
- Scope Miami Beach 2015 - Gallery C- ART - Miami;
- Copenhagen Art Fair - Gallery C- ART- Denmark;
- Scope Basel 2015 - Gallery C- ART – Switzerland;
- Art/Cartagena 2015 – Gallery C- ART – Cartagena;
- Mostra Brasil 2014– House of Art - Miami
- Scope Miami Beach 2014 - Gallery C-Art - USA;
- Coletiva 2013 - Art Office of Alexandra Archer – Rio de Janeiro
- FotoRio 2013 - ALAF, Experimental Videos– Rio de Janeiro
In 2015 Maritza was selected to exhibit her work at the renowned Paco Imperial Exhibition during the 2016 Olympics in Rio. VANDA KLABIN was the Curator for her exhibition titled “Maritza Caneca Pool Series” at Paco Imperial. The exhibition was a tremendous commercial and critical success with over 30,000 visitors viewing her work during the Olympic Games. I knew at that time that Maritza is a new forcé in Brazilian contemporary art today.
During the creative process, as a Curator I prefer to let the artist follow his or her own creative sense and give each the freedom to execute their ideas respecting their personal workflow. Maritza has made this a very comfortable methodology in our collaborations. At the same time, Martitza proposes innovative solutions for any type of lighting challenge or movement, with a very driven natural intuition for timeline, time constraints, and budget. I felt that I could work with her on any future productions, and have continued to do so.
We also took to Miami for her solo exhibition with the same title (“Maritza Caneca Pool Series”) to the prestigious Bosso Gallery, and we are now collaborating on a new major exhibition for the famous Hotel Copacabana Palace, built in 1928 and one of the most import iconic historical.